Monday, April 25, 2005

Rain on the highways

In my car, headed to bhaiya's place, and parked at the Charlton Plaza on the I-90. Want to spend some ten fifteen minutes here, cause i started too early and by the time I reach there, I want bhaiya to be there too. Plus it's raining... aah the rains.

Now this is one thing I just have to write about. I love rain even when it brings slush, water logs, traffic jams, and even national calamities. If I can opt between death in an arid desert suffering a draught and in Cherrapunji hit by lightning under the pouring skies, I'd pick the latter. And not just because it'll be quicker. So, when it rains in Bangalore I like to look outside the glass windows of my office. I like riding my bike in the rain. Papa would say it's not safe and others say i'll catch a cold. But they don't see the point. Rain lifts my spirits up! Driving in the rain isn't bad too; its got that fuzzy feeling of cosy comfort you get when in a balcony with a cup of tea looking out into a cats-and-dogs rain . I had to strain some to focus my eyes on the road ahead and not on the dancing wiper in front. It almost had me in a trance!

It's raining right now in Masachussetts and Connecticut. It has rained before too during my stay, but always in the nights. So when today morning it rained and then it rained again, I knew I was in for my first drive in the rain! My window in Holiday Inn faces wilderness - a field of green grass and woods beyond. And it doesn't open! *$%@#. Pushing one pane to a side I managed a thin opening thru which I looked out into the greenery, felt the drizzle, smelt the freshness... witnessed monsoon making love to spring! And then got back to work. Remember the ladder?

The rains on the highways here doesn't slow down the cars a bit. People trust their governments to not have chasm-sized cracks on the highways, they trust their anti-accident cars with anti-skid wheels, anti-lock brakes, anti-fogging AC's, they trust each other to drive at least sanely if not safely besides trusting in God. Good thing. I pretty much started off shuddering at the thought of skidding off the road turning at 60 mph or missing in my misty rearview some oncoming car in the left lane, and getting my car royally banged. But soon I was myself in the left lane coasting at 75. People tell me it's officially safe to add 10 to the speed limits here. I wonder why then the officers didn't keep the limits hard at +10 of the curent ones.

The sky is overcast right now at Charlton. Rain's reduced to a drizzle. There are two girls going jumping holding one each of their daddy's hands. They must think about me, "what a geek! playing with his laptop when he could be playing in the rain! Learn from us..." And several couples walking by my car. Let me go fill some petrol in the car, and then head to bhaiya's place. They and my SD500 are waiting for me there! I just have to be careful not to let the wiper hypnotise me.

No comments: