Friday, November 11, 2005

I first

There seems a substantial change of mindset required to cut over to being a successful leader or entrepreneur from being a brilliant engineer. Graduating from 'smart' & 'intelligent' to also 'aware' & 'creative', reading a good variety by the tonne, considering sleep a requirement rather than a hobby... these are things that I understood well.

But today, I read this quote from Rajat Gupta, former MD, McKinsey. "You have to live with yourself longer than you have to live with others." Straightforward yet striking. Some of us, including me, can take the good samaritan in us to extremes where self-denial seems natural. Of course, a theory says 'If an act of sacrifice gives pleasure, then it's more a selfish act than a selfless one'. But let's not get philosophical. The sentence has practical implications in the professional life, and it has got me well. Time to learn something new, what?

No comments: