Thursday, November 24, 2005

Shetty. Birthday. Oeufs

Mr. Shetty, my Landlord, was a seemingly sweet chap to begin with when I gave him the booking amount of 3k. Didn't even care to count, and agreed to reduce the deposit to 25k. Now, this may be a racial remark, but it's said of the gultis in general and Shetty's in particular that money is something they can't help obtain by crook. Had I known this then, I'd have been careful. The glibslither has finally shown his fangs. Not willing to sign the lease agreement as is, with an interest clause for holding up the deposit amount after lease-expiry. And contending that the rental started from the date of our meeting and not the date of my moving in! Ridiculous, but I'll grit my teeth and agree. The place is so perfect. I am not going to trust this guy again, though.

Have been doing lots of different things at work, but finding it impossible to get time to prepare for the ISB. How does one prepare for an MBA interview anyways, I ask friends. Jitne moonh utni baatein. Shankar's gifted me a Jack Welch - Winning. It says "you won't need another Management book" on the cover. I doubt it.

The birthday went great. Daga and Mota came with our customary midnight cake. Calls from all who matter came in the morning, except Bhaiya who decided to stick to his TZ instead of mine. A surprise party with Blackforest and Sula Brut after a fake cold welcome by the Jaipur gang. A quick omelette done to a charry death in breakfast, lunch at Something Fishy, coffee at Java City with Shankar and dinner at Little Italy with Bosh and Rekha, who gifted me Kurtas.

Omelette reminds me. The french for egg, I read in a novel recently is oeuf. Now I generally don't care much for pronunciations but oeuf? 3 vowels in a row. How the hell do I even read the word, forget about the right French guttural that scares English speakers. I turned to the Internet and turns out it's easy to pronounce. Sounds like the pleasured grunt of someone enjoying good sex. "I had coddled 'urghs' while my honey coddled me. "

The word, coddle, by the way, is like 'splice'. Strange that it can mean 'treat with indulgence' when it also means 'cook in boiling water'? And while on eggs...



There, a post that speaks of 3 really unrelated things.

No comments: