Friday, November 04, 2005

Sapne se sapna

A dream of mine, before shrouding itself in white, has spawned a substitute which seems more manageable. This same change-of-guard has happened before, when the substitute seemed more achievable, but soon both the old and new dreams were incapacitated. This time, though, the old has left behind a blue spectre that will live on while the new is an orange ball of fire. It's fun to keep thoughts behind the bushes of circumlocuted words, and peek at them later reading your diary!

So, the new dream is to do an MBA, to break out of the software engineer's mould, to rise above the average. If there is comfort of anonymity and security within the masses, there is also the angst of mediocrity and aimlessness. I wonder if I can aim higher. I've cracked the GMAT well, 770 (V: 45 M: 50) and have app'ed to the ISB, Hyderabad. Should make me reach the interview at least. I was quite confident about the interview too until yesterday, when I read some sample interview questions that unsettled me. An engineer knows how to answer direct questions like "What is entropy?" or "What is polymorphism?". But how does one deal with market size estimation of pencils and Titan watches? Lateral thinking, huh? Will need to run to de Bono books soon. Then there are questions on individual comapnies in the industry-of-choice. I fumble in recalling companys' CEOs, and I need to remember their revenues! And yes, I need to have some visibility into my future, my industry's future, my country's future... MBA needs barrels of globe and gyaan, says Mota, our eternal unassuming philosopher from IIML.

I've given a thought to INSEAD and IMD. Still not sure if I should try my luck there. Will decide when I get back to Bangalore. Meanwhile, while in Baroda, let's dream... "If you can dream it, you can do it. Remember, this whole thing was started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

No comments: